Pages

Friday 3 October 2014

Mutukaroa


Reflection ....Mutukaroa .....TeachMeet NZ


I was invited by Sonya to present on TeachMeet NZ my learning this year with a new initiative we implemented called Mutukaroa. My initial response was "how much time do I have" then I realised that it has made a difference....why not share it with others so here I go. Preparing for this presentation has clarified my learning and more so my thinking. Being asked to share something that has made an impact in three minutes seemed impossible but you can do it. 



Newmarket School was very fortunate to be one of the initial 10 schools in the cluster working alongside the host school (Sylvia Park School). I have the awesome privilege of being the Mutukaroa Coordinator. Working alongside Mutukaroa Coordinators, parents, teachers and students have been an amazing experience. 

Here is my presentation on TeachMeetNZ.

Mutukaroa is a learning Partnership between the home and school. It is working alongside our whanau, supporting, empowering and engaging them in their child's learning. It is taking the learning that's happening at school into the homes of our whanau.                                 

The classroom teacher administers a detailed observation survey both in literacy and numeracy at age 5, 5 and a half, 6 and 7. These assessments are then shared with me the coordinator. Part of my role is then to invite the parents to be part of a learning conversation based around their child's learning. At this meeting we celebrate successes and set new goals. Ten weeks later we meet for a review meeting where we review the goals. If the goals have been achieved we set new ones, otherwise we look at other resources to support that specific learning goal. The two targets that are usually set together with parents are very specific. One target is for literacy and the other is for numeracy. The best part of it is that resources are provided to support these targets at home.



As a coordinator the biggest challenge that I face is sharing the data collected with parents within two weeks of the testing and ensuring that there are enough resources ready to support the goals.

The biggest impact of this initiative on my teaching includes building strong relationships with our parents. In addition being responsive to the culture and background of our whanau. Some of what I learnt was that parents are reliant on the teachers to teach their children. Some parents are unsure of how to best support their child and to what extent in literacy and numeracy. I have built a closer relationship with our teachers by working collaboratively.
Mutukaroa surely has made a huge impact on our learning outcomes. We have had some students making a year's progress in 6 months in terms of learning. All children to date have made some progress in their learning. Where the most progress is seen is where the parents have set specific targets and have been involved in their child's learning. 



My practise is refined and becoming more focused specific in meeting the needs of my learners.


"Whaia te iti Kahurangi"
"Reach for the Stars"
To make a difference we need to journey together.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Reubina,
    I much enjoyed your "Mutukaroa in Three Minutes" session for TeachMeetNZ. You shared an important message for anyone wanting to make a difference when you described the outcomes - ALL students showed accelerated learning.

    Sometimes the rhetoric of change - the clamour of the new, improved, latest, or different means we forget to focus on (and value) the inexpensive techniques and strategies - the simple things that can and do improve educational outcomes for students.
    Great things can happen when people who care about a child work together.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. Do appreciate your comment. The more I work and chat with parents the more I am reminded about the importance of working together as you have clearly stated. Thankyou!

      Delete
  2. Reubina great to have had you join me in a TeachMeetNZ. This is a fabulous reflection and summary of what took place with your presentation. I know that the Mutukaroa has taken up a lot of time and have enjoyed watching your growth with data analysis. I also liked the way you have encouraged your team to share with you in the staff presentations. I repeat what Pam has said in that 'Great things can happen when people who care about a child work together.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonya ...at first I thought I could never do anything like this. A gentle nudge and push has made me realise that it's not hard after all. Sharing the journey has got me all excited..Thankyou ...You rock!

      Delete